Get some good amount of rest before the drive Ex: If you’re driving from (22:00 to 6:00 or 7:00) try to get some rest from (12:00 to 20:00) by this you can avoid some fatigue while driving.
2.Being lite on your food
If you’re driving night and having a heavy dinner it’s obvious that you may end up falling asleep around (1:00 to 6:00) so be lite on your dinner.
Driving in Indian conditions always requires extra attention.When it comes to night driving one should pay more attention as the lighting conditions are poor.
4. Keep an eye on the Speedometer
When it comes to night driving one should always stick to the speed limits. High speeds will result in less response time if a situation occurs. Always keep the vehicle in control. But i Know some of them might not be comfortable with this its up to you to just stay in control.Roads are not the place to race. Go to a track if you want to bring out the racer in you.
5. Changing lanes
Always stick to the middle lane, which can be very helpful in avoiding any type of pedestrians and animals who will come out of the blue on the extreme lanes especially in India.
Decide early while changing lanes in night don’t change lanes at the last moment or at close quarters. Use headlight while overtaking the slow vehicle just give a high and put it to low beam. Always stay in low beam even if the one driving from opposite side is on high beam “one being blind is better than two being blind” and don’t focus your sight on the beam from the opposite side which will put unnecessary stress in your eyes.
In India most of the trucks and buses use headlight’s which is beyond the norms,
doesn’t mean that you also have to do that.
When it comes to headlight’s there are “n” number of options available Xenon,led,halogen and laser use which ever you feel okay but stick to the norms. I usually prefer led and xenon.
6. My secret mantra to stay awake in a night drive
Some uses coffee,some uses music and some uses nap,nap actually helps will come to that later.
Humans will not fall asleep When he is laughing. Apart from that one can fall asleep even while eating. So here is what I do.Used to load my system with comedy’s and listen to them for the whole night drive.
7. Being cautious from 2:00 to 5:00
According to reports and from practical experience this is where more accidents occur.Even the pro’s used to suffer during these hours so if you’re the one who is driving in these hours make sure that you pay more attention. I repeat 2:00 to 5:00 don’t forget.
End of the day you may be in a situation where nothing works don’t worry even if you went off just for a sec. Don’t hesitate just pull over by the side and take nap for 30 to 60 min which is enough for the next few good hours of driving. It’s very important that you pull over if you went off for a sec because the next sec may not be lucky for you.
Some Night Driving Tips.
- Light direction and Focus i.e headlamps should be properly aligned and focused correctly.
- You should be extra vigilant while driving in the night.
- Maintaining steady speed is required rather than driving the car at speed.
- Always STOP when you feel sleepy. Ensure all your lights are properly working.
- You should not stare on the high beams of opposite coming vehicles, it creates temporary blindness.
- Always make use of headlights to give signals to the cars that are after you.
- Most important is Don’t race against the clock as “Time is precious but your life is more precious”
- Control yourself and do not wait
- until you’ve seen yourself nodding a couple of times to decide to do something about it.
- Sometimes, it’s as simple as getting out of the car for a stretch and some fresh air.
- Other times, you may need a little coffee or just to catch a buzz and a second wind out of the people and lights of a convenience store.
- Jump jacks Sing in the car
- Lower the windows.
- And know when to let go and stop in a safe rest area or get a hotel room and get some sleep.
Some of the Night Driving tips that I follow are………
1. I Clean all the headlights, taillights and windshields.
2. I adjust the level of headlights up to my vision level not too up not too down.
3. When oncoming vehicle headlights are on up don’t stare directly see at right edge of the vehicle.
4. When you are following someone keep your headlights down so that driver can see properly.
5 Always use signal while changing lane and overtaking another vehicle.
6. When driving at night always used the dipper light.
7. While you are climbing the hill used the dipper light.
8. When coming to down hill use the upper light for better visibility.
9. Always drive the vehicle in constant speed and check the tire pressure constantly.
10. Most importantly have a good sleep before you start the night journey.